Thursday, April 12, 2012

What's in my Carry-on?



When it comes to packing, I would consider myself a pro. Averaging 4-5 trips a year, I am able to pack with confidence the morning of a 12 day trip and still manage to not forget anything. I think part of this is luck, but most importantly, planning.

Here are 5 items that, you can guarantee, are in my carry-on each and every time.



  1. iPod. My 120 gigabyte gadget has helped me kill countless hours in planes and airports. Having access to all my favourite music is a great but where it really shines is the amount of movies and TV shows it can hold. On my last trip to China I was able to enjoy all three seasons of Arrested Development as well as some of last year’s Oscar winners. An iPod also allows you to block out a lot of the noise pollution found in airports and planes.


  2. Change of clothes. A change of clothes (and a toiletry kit) is always recommended. One may never know when their bag will pull a disappearing act on them. I try to pack clothes that are compact but also soft on the skin in case I need to use a shirt as a pillow in an airport lounge.


  3. Local currency. I always like to have a little bit of local currency for when I arrive in a new country. Having local currency accessible allows me to hit the ground running instead of heading straight to the foreign exchange counter in the airport. Local currency also comes in handy for when I get hungry or thirsty before I have reached my local hotel.


  4. Aspirin, allergy, cold medicine and Pepto pills. These little guys have saved me time and time again. It is no fun being sick. It is even less fun being sick, looking for a drug store in a new city and trying to decipher the medicines’ packaging at the local pharmacy. Just remember when even travelling with any medicine, that it is in pill form or under 100mL.


  5. Insurance. As travel professionals, we all understand the importance of insurance. But it is also important to ensure you have the correct type of coverage. For me, I always go with the deluxe options. Full medical coverage as well as trip interruption. I always have a copy of my policy number in my suitcase, wallet and local smart phone.


Having the above five items with me always makes my flight and first 24 hours in a new city much more comfortable. And do remember to make sure your carry on suitcase is small, light and has good wheels. Your back will thank you for it.

Regards,

Otis Ashby
Sales & Operations

No comments:

Post a Comment