Thursday, January 13, 2011

Knock off watches, knock off wines…


During one of my trips to China, I was relaxing in the trendy Beijing area of Shi Sha Hai and enjoying some drinks with a few of our local guides. We were sitting outside enjoying the fresh air, the lively scenery and laughing it up. After I had ordered my second scotch and soda, one of my guides said, "You better not order another glass. Sometimes these bars will serve people who are too drunk counterfeit alcohol." I knew China had knock offs for almost anything but a knock off of my favourite alcohol? That is where I draw the line!

Well, it looks like China's black market has taken knock off alcohol to a whole new level. With an emerging market for high end wines in China, limited supply and very little wine education out there, there is now a huge market for empty bottles of very famous wines. These coveted empty bottles which are worth up to CAD 600 a piece are refilled with subpar vintages and sold to the very rich at very expensive prices.

With Chinese New Year coming up around the corner, I sadly expect the black market to be thriving this year.

Cheers!

Otis Ashby
Sales & Operations

No comments:

Post a Comment