Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival but what the heck is that?

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival but what the heck is that?

Every year at about this time, my local partners in China always send me Happy Moon Festival Wishes and then advise me that they will not be in the office for the next 2 days.

Coincidentally, my desk is usually covered in little red boxes containing a petite but heavy cake from loyal customers and local suppliers.


Well after 10 years of working at Chinapac, I decided to find out more about this event by speaking with my colleagues in the office and I found out the following.

The Mid-Autumn Festival, also known as the Moon Festival, is a popular harvest festival celebrated by Chinese and Vietnamese people, dating back over 3,000 years.

This year the festival takes place Sept 22 -24, 2010 with most businesses and offices in China being closed. This time off gives the Chinese a chance to reunite with their family and friends to celebrate with tasty food such as Moon Cakes, fruits, and crab!

At night, families will gather outside with their lanterns to enjoy the beauty of the moon and light incense in honor of Chang'e the Chinese Goddess of the Moon.

Sounds like a fun party! And yes Chinapac will be open during this time

中秋快乐!

Otis Ashby
Sales & Operations

No comments:

Post a Comment